Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oak trees blog day 4

I was recently told that the large oak trees in my yard could be as old as 300 years. I figure that is truly amazing to think what has happened in those past 300 hundred years around that tree. Who passed by it when it was only a small saspling around the year 1700. What stories the tree could tell. What energy it feels and what kinds of weather has it felt. How many incredible storms have blown through the branches and wet the leaves. How many times have new leaves grown and beautiful fall colours fallen. What was happening with the people surrounding the tree and my goodness what about the birds and animals. How many squirrels have hopped from branch to branch. How many different types of birds. I myself have seen more than I can count. The endless amounts of stories that could be told by the tree. I am lucky to have 7 of these old oaks in my yard to look at every day. I always thought they were beautiful and majestic but now I have a new sense of the past as I look up at these tall trees and wrap my arms around their thick bark. It also makes you dream about the future and the hope that these trees will continue to grow and not be cut down or blighted by some kind of tree disease. Lets all take care of the trees and the creatures that live around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment